Philippines: Transportation and Accomodations

I have SO many photos from the last week that there is no way I can share them all.  The last week, however, was really special, so prepare yourself for a few photo-heavy posts this week.  And since I began this blog mostly as a way to journal our experiences here, and most of my readers are family and friends… well, I hope that means that most of you enjoy them!


The trip began (and ended, in reverse order) with: a taxi, a train, a shuttle, another taxi, another train, another shuttle, (pause for overnight rest), yet another shuttle, a plane, another plane, and then yet another taxi.  I’ll spare you photos of those banalities.

How about some truly Filipino modes of transportation?


Here is a typical Jeepney.  These drive back and forth between a couple of destinations, and you can flag one down on the side of the road.  A “conductor” usually stands on the back and finds out where you’re going and collects your fare- 10 Philippine pesos, or about $0.25.

We hired a private one on a day trip out to Guimaras Island, where we visited a Trappist monastery.

The private Jeepney ran out of gas on the way back to the port. The driver coasted downhill for awhile, where he proceeded to stop at a roadside “booth” and buy gasoline (maybe diesel?) in a Pepsi bottle.  After 20 minutes, 2 bottles of Pepsi-diesel, and some mechanical wrangling wherein he (much to Gabriel’s delight and my chagrin) removed part of the main cabin floor in order to fiddle with the gas line, we were on our way again.


These are a common way to get around town when you are going shorter distances.  Like Jeepneys, you can just flag one down.  Super safe, as you can see.  Apparently my standards of car safety have relaxed a bit.

Here is a view from the back seat.
A non-motorized version:


For our trip to Guimaras Island, we took a 20 minute ferry.

Clearly, he resents this adventure.
A prettier view of the Guimaras cove:


As I mentioned last time, Kevin developed pneumonia last Monday.  We joked that the wheelchair made us feel less like he was sick, and more like we were at a garden party.


Sol y Mar Family Resort in Tigbauan (Ilioilo City), Panay Island, Philippines.

The resort’s bar/restaurant where we ordered much of our food.

 The pavilion in front of our cabins where we ate many of our meals.

Heart-attack-inducing structure in front of the bar.  

Our cabin! My brother, sister-in-law, their children and her mom all stayed in a two-story cabin right next door.  Awesome.

The dipping pool on our deck.

Sunrise on the beach.

The tree house where the kids spent quite a bit of playtime.  Our cabin is the one in the background on the left.


  1. How fun! Love all the pictures and I LOVE that tree house!

    • The kids loved it too. And this vacation was a wonderful break for the kids, who have been stuck in an apartment all winter. Oh, and it gave me a break, too!

  2. I was born in the Philippines but left with my mom when I was 4 months old – my father had been murdered, causing an international incident – and I’ve never had the opportunity to return. It’s a real treat to see your photos, and I’m looking forward to reading the full story. My husband’s grandfather was instrumental in creating the transportation system in the P.I. (it was a private enterprise) but of course it was all blown to smithereens when the Japanese invaded during the war. Anyway it’s a real hoot to hear how complicated your transportation arrangements were to get there and back!

    • Anna, what a heartbreaking story about your dad. And so interesting about your hubby’s grandfather. I’d love to hear the whole story sometime!